Sunday, February 26, 2012

Atakilt Wat (Ethiopian Cabbage and Carrots)

I first fell in love with the cabbage in North Carolina when I discovered that it was amazing just sauteed in butter and salted. Then, I realized that I could add caraway seeds and the dish was elevated to near god-like status. But on injera? I think not. It just wouldn't be...orange enough. The carrots here make the overall flavor a little sweet, and it's quite* gingery. If you're not into that, cut back a bit.

*dammit, Tiana.
Ingredients
1/4 cup niter kibbeh
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated or minced
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 head of green cabbage, sliced into 1 inch chunks
5 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks (really however many you want- the more carrots, the sweeter the dish)
salt to taste
  1. Saute the onion in the niter kebbeh until translucent then add the garlic and ginger.
  2. Add all the remaining ingredients, cover, lower heat, and cook until the thick vegetables have become tender. Stir every so often to prevent sticking and burning.

Easy peasy.

1 comment:

  1. I use a whole head of cabbage (because what else are you going to do with it?)

    I add the cabbage incrementally, tossing well and allowing to make contact with the pan before adding more.

    After I add the cabbage, I add about 2 cups of water and let it simmer. I find it burns otherwise.

    I add about a tablespoon of turmeric, but you may have a lot more in your niter kibbeh. The earthy flavor really makes this dish.

    I also omit the tomato paste. That must be the Brooklyn coming out in you.

    ReplyDelete